Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Silent Directed Retreat - Day 1 (3/20) - 8:33 PM

- I'm sitting in my room wondering what direction I should even take. Am I going to do Bible scriptures? Am I just going to reflect on what has been going on in life? Or maybe I'll simply be silent and listen to what's outside or in the silence. At this point I feel my mind is racing at a thousand different directions and I'm not sure what to even consider. I think to start off tonight I'm not going to do a prayer per se but just listen to the sounds and make observations about the world around me and what it's like for silence.

Observations


- The buzzing of the lights
- The sounds of the power plant
- Gentle breezes coming through my window
- My reflection when I look at the window
- The heat coming from the bottom of the window wall
- The heat of the lamp above me
- The window rattling
- My sweaty feet
- The stains on the ceiling
- The waves of the lake
- How beautiful the Dome looks
- I'm right in the line of the big cross
- The power plant is more lit than anything else
- Cars passing by
- The ring of the clock at 8:45 PM
- My journal fluttering from the breeze
- I have that Taylor Swift song stuck in my head
- Silence is hard, I find myself trying to look at my cell phone.

Emotions

- Tired
- Exhausted
- Anxious
- Somewhat nervous
- Curiosity
- Really Tired - 8:57 PM

Questions

- What does God want me to accomplish on this retreat?
- What do I want to accomplish on this retreat?
- How do you know when God speaks with you?
- How do we not have enough time to just sit and ponder things?
- What is my relationship with God?
- What are my doubts/fears/questions?
- Do I blame him for anything?
- Do I expect more out of Him?
- Do I truly believe some of the things taught to me?
- Church's teachings?
- Father's teachings?
- Friend's teachings?
- ND's teachings?
- Who is ultimately right? Can anyone really be right?
- What do I want to see myself as?
- Strengths?
- Weaknesses?
- Goals for the future?
- What places will I pray at? Would it make a big difference?