Wednesday, July 8, 2009

How Notre Dame is going to remain with me for the rest of my life.

Once you graduate and get your degree from the University of Notre Dame, you may think that duLac and the whole bubble of Notre Dame disappears. What I have found out however, is the exact opposite, and characteristics of the typical Notre Dame student remain after you leave the Golden Dome.

I have found that if you put a group of ND kids together with other people, they tend to gravitate towards each other and bond a lot faster than others. Yes you can say that about any group from an associated college, but the connection alums share with each other is just uncanny. We constantly are able to whip out references to ND even without realizing it. It has baffled others and I constantly wonder if I and the other ND grads get automatically judged for this. It's very strange and I'm not sure if I captured that in words completely.

I have also found that the majority of us tend to be a lot less crazier and would rather not be out at the bars a lot. Don't get me wrong, I like going and socializing for a bit but there's no way I can stay out till 3-4 am. For me, I just can't get myself to spend that much at a bar and feel like crap the next day. Don't take that as a judgment against those who do enjoy drinking like that because it's not. I'm just saying I can never do that.

I have also found that sometimes we can literally be socially awkward in situations. I have a feeling I'll run into it more as the years pass but there have been a few situations where I just felt I was being awkward. Maybe I myself am just awkward but there's that kind of aura of awkwardness and it seems to be amplified the more ND students you gather together in an environment.

Anyway I thought I'd write about that for a bit. There are more things but I just can't think of them right now.