Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad

I woke up this morning and I looked at my phone and noticed it was July 27. Today is my dad's birthday.

I remember times when I would wake up, race to my dad's room, give him a big hug and wish him a happy bday. For every year since I remember, my mom and I would go to the store and buy him a birthday cake that simply read "Happy Birthday Dad". It would be our tradition to sit down and just eat a meal that was cake.

Today, there isn't a cake. I'm not even in the same state as my mom. As I reflect and look at the picture of my family at my high school graduation, I realize just how much has changed in such a short time. It seems that I say this a lot and maybe sometimes I complain about having to grow up so quickly. But you know, maybe that's what I needed to do. Maybe that's all my Dad really wanted to see me become... A growing man who can provide for his family and achieve great success at whatever he does. Look at me now. I'm at one of the top paying companies for a graduate from ND. I'm able to provide for my mom and help her out. I have a great girlfriend who cares so much for me.

Sure I'm struggling to keep up with things. There's always financial things. I'm not living comfortably and won't be for awhile. I have to do the same thing of getting up early and working 8-9 hours.

But you know what, I know that he's proud of me and what I have been able to accomplish. I think that's all that matters.