Monday, August 3, 2009

Reading

I'm almost embarrassed to say that it's been a really long time since i've been able to pick up a book and just read for pleasure. I think that the way my life has been for the past four years, college doesn't lend itself well to picking up something other than homework to read for leisure.

I think I was always brought up to look for other entertainment opportunities to keep my mind occupied. It was always videogames and just playing those nonstops. Yes, there are a lot of benefits to playing videogames to keep your mind stimulated. However, there is a fine line between what you think it can do and what it really does for you.

I think that with reading, you are able to visualize things more and really have your mind work and ponder about things. With a videogame, almost everything is visualized for you and you constantly have to process the number of things that appear on a screen to complete a goal or an objective. With reading, things are laid out, but it's up to your mind's imagination as to what really appears in front of you.

I had the pleasure of having a couple of hours on the train to read a book and it's one that intrigues me. I actually read 130+ very easily and really want to finish the book even though I have work early in the morning. I really want to read more books and see what else is out there.

All I know is, this might be the start of the decline of my videogame years. Yes, it's very hard to believe and maybe it's truly not possible, but given my job description and the enjoyment of just reading a good story, I think it might be happening.

*shudders*